Tuesday, April 24, 2012

SCNY Rink Closes for the Season, Looking Forward to Next Year


Since Wollman Rink closed at the beginning of this month, I've been going through a bit of outdoor skating withdrawal. 

Until I first set my blades on the iconic rink in Central Park two years ago, I had never skated outside. All my practice and competition and recreational skating was within the confines of a refrigerated building. When I took my first lap around Wollman, it felt truly like flying. 

Feeling nostalgic for this past season, I found this quick photo I snapped with my phone as I was leaving the rink last November. I think it really captures the essence of what makes Wollman so special. 




Wollman is affiliated with SCNY and is home to both the largest basic skills program and the largest basic skills competition in the country (the Wollman Open). Skating at Wollman will open back up in October of this year. To keep us all tided over until then, please share your favorite Wollman experience in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment